[Zope] Site Visit Logging

Bill Trenker wtrenker at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 3 17:27:19 EST 2004

I've been hosting a small Zope site for over 2 years now.  I'm using ZPT, Python Scripts, and ZSQLiteDA and have been able to develop a simple Zope Product.  My Zope system is version 2.5.1 running on a Windows 98 box.

I want to implement a simple site visit log.  It would be easy enough to put a conventional page-visit counter somewhere on the site's home page, but I don't want to just count the visits to that page.  I really want to get a log of all the accesses to the site, regardless of which page or file the http request accesses.  I realize this is like a very conventional http access log, but I want to implement a simple access log totally within the ZODB.

One possible solution, using existing products, might be to use the SiteAccess product's AccessRule code to log the pertinent information from the Request object into the ZODB.  Is that a reasonable solution, or is there a more Zopeish way to go about this?

I'm continuing to dig through the docs and through google but any pointers are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill