[Zope] Scrolling Tables

Alex Newby anewby at mailbolt.com
Thu Jan 8 15:55:01 EST 2004

There are some situations when it is vitally necessary to use javascript.
The most obvious being if you have images that you wish to be displayed
only on a particularly sized viewport. i.e. 300px width image for 800*600
and 500px for 1024*768. For CSS, etc, javascript is a little heavy, and
might not even be available if its turned off.

Tim Zegir said: "Sorry if some one has pointed this out already, but why
can't you just create your base table with you heading etc and in the
field you want to scroll content create another table (border="0" :) )
and scroll that???"

This makes more sense, but why do it all in tables?? Judging by the
column headings This would not be valid xhtml strict, but you might be
able to pass it off as xhtml transitional. I haven't given this a go
because I lost the link to that nice css frame hack.

This is basically what Tim said.

I'm sort of new to dtml and all, but if you're pulling the data
dynamically from someplace it should be relatively trivial to build the
table width when the table is constructed.

width="add_us_up_to_100%">Bar</td></tr>

I believe that when it comes to HTML, everything works with Zope. Get
everyone to use the same web-browser and you're fine:)

Alex Newby
zopista.com

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>To me that sounds like a pure HTML issue that has nothing to do
>with Zope.

It is an HTML issue but HTML doesn't have an easy way to do it. I hoped
that there might be some sort of plug in that someone here had worked
with.  Something that could work with Zope.

Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
>You could hack this together using DHTML/JavaScript with frames.

This is probably the best suggestion but it's beyond my current
abilities.  I didn't know that JavaScript could read the column headings.
Does Jython allow you to do this kind of scripting using Python instead
of Java?  I'd rather not go back to a second language.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Joe Goldthwaite