[Zope] OT:looking for info/ideas on "Open Source Business Models"

Paul Howell paul at smoothstone.com
Sat Jan 10 10:00:31 EST 2004

A "better base" than closed source?  No, not necessarily, but certainly a
valid one.

I think three very good large projects for examples would indeed be Zope
and MySQL, plus JBoss.  At their hearts, each primary developer of these
products takes a different basic business model for their core commercial
product, but there is some convergence among them:

Zope (Zope Corp):
   Open source product: python-based application server.
   Commercialization: sells custom development services, also training.

JBoss: (JBoss Group)
   Open source product: java-based application server.
   Commercialization: sells documentation and training, also sells custom
development services.

MySQL: (MySQL AB)
   Open source product: SQL database.
   Commercialization: sells support and training, sells non-GPL licenced
versions, also sells custom development services.

So at the very least, you've got three viable business models for the lead
developers:  Sell documentation and training, sell support, sell
development services.

In addition, each of these provides the basis for a vast cottage industry
for outside developers to use these products to sell development, training
and support services locally or internationally.  That's what many of us on
this list seem to do.  Mostly these are smaller organizations (or
individuals) than the prime developer... but this need not be the case for
all open source projects.

Of course, the only real difference in BUSINESS models (how revenues and
profits are generated) is that these open source models do not derive
revenue from licensing of the open source products, whereas licensing is
one of the primary revenue sources in closed products.  This provides the
tradeoff... revenues from closed source licensing sales presumably goes to
pay to further develop the closed source product with in-house
programmers.  In contrast, open source product development derives from the
bazaar model of the community (which has "free" access to the product and
cottage impetus to further its usefulness), and from in-house developers
fed by the other revenue sources.

Another cottage example:  IBM derives revenues from Linux through direct
consulting services and support, and also through sales of its own products
that run on their Linux servers.  IBM has thus become a part of the vast
cottage industry spawned by the Linux open source operating system.  Linux,
of course, has a less simply defined but also successful business model
(such a definition is left as an exercise for the reader, and for Robert).

<notice i've completely avoided giving any references.  it's my day off. />
my2c
=Paul