[Zope] Staging CMFStaging PloneStaging et al

Michael Havard nhavar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:17:45 EST 2004

I'm still having difficulty getting CMFStaging to work with our setup. When
attempting to run the install for PloneStaging I now get an error
"LockError" "/staging/Stages/Development not lockable".
So in digging around trying to find out how to fix that error I'm reading a
lot of material that suggests that I'm traveling down the wrong path,
specifically because CMFStaging/PloneStaging is not a production level and
also because it looks like Plone is going to be going a different direction
with staging/versioning in a later version.

So I'm kind of at square one with this problem of staging again.

DEV --> QA --> PROD

Going back to an earlier thought I had I wonder if this might be able to
work:
Setup the Plone site within the main db (data.fs). In the Plone directory
set up a mount point for a secondary database for content (content.fs).
Develop the templates, security, and functionality as normal, create some
test dummy content inside the content folder through Plone. When it's time
to test in QA have a script copy over the DEV data.fs as data_v2.fs then
fire up a new ZEO client for QA using that DB. At that point we should have
the newest version of the Plone site and retain whatever content (from
content.fs) that was already in QA. In QA it gets tested and approved and we
perform a similar update through script to PROD where it gets tested for
validity against the already existing production content (content.fs). At
whatever point we verify that the new version works we point users over to
the new ZEO client(s) and switch off the old ZEO client(s)

The trick here is that what's in content.fs is created seperately from
general development of templates, security, and Plone functionality.

My question would be 1) can it be done this way 2) are there any
repercussions as far as cataloging, session management, locking, etc. 3) is
there a better way that's been tested and feels production ready.