[Zope] Win2k Processor Affinity

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Mon Jan 19 09:49:52 EST 2004

My production machine is a dual-processor machine running Windows 2000
Server with zope running as a service.

I understand from previous posts that setting processor affinity, i.e.,
making python/zope run on only one of the processors, may be a good
thing.  Since this is my production machine, I would rather not
experiment too much.

What I have is the imagecfg.exe program from
http://www.robpol86.com/tutorials/imagecfg.php, and the instructions are
to run

imagecfg -u file.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 file.exe

on the executable file I would wish to set affinity to processor 1 on.

I see that in Task Manager, I cannot set processor affinity manually on
my python process.  I get "access denied."

I am running what I presume is the stock win32 install of zope-2.6.2.
It began as 2.6.0, but has been upgraded.

So, now for the question:

Has anyone done this?  Is the above procedure the correct way to do
this?  Like I say, it's a production machine, and I would rather not
experiment.  Which executable(s) should be imagecfg'd?  Is it the
python.exe in [zope]/bin?  Or the .exe that starts the service?  or a
.dll or two?

-- Jim Washington