[Zope] Ape problems

Bob McElrath bob+zope at mcelrath.org
Fri Jan 23 13:01:02 EST 2004

rsbowman [rsbowman at rootnode.com] wrote:
> hello all,
>
> About the Zope 2.7 problem: I have a version of LatexWiki which uses Ape
> (http://cvs.zope.org/Products/Ape/, you can download a tarball at the
> bottom of the page) instead of LocalFs.  Ape is still experimental
> software, but LocalFs hasn't been updated in ages and need kludges to work
> in new zopes.  That smells bad.

So...uh...how did you do that?

I installed Ape, created an images directory, and am repeatedly getting
this error:
    *  Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 102, in publish
    * Module Zope.App.startup, line 217, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 234, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 340, in _commit_begin
    * Module ZODB.Connection, line 452, in commit_sub
    * Module apelib.zope2.setup.TmpStore, line 66, in load

OverflowError: requested number of bytes is more than a Python string can hold

I think with Ape we will not need to run a python method, if we can
distribute the dbtab.conf file and have the user install it (finding the
right directory for it took me a while...).  But it looks like Ape
directories are global so the user would probably have to create one
manually.

It would be nicer if an Ape mount point could be created/administered
entirely in the ZMI, without requiring the user to muck with the
filesystem.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]