[Zope] ZSyncer and subfolders

joe joe at eracks.com
Sun Jan 25 15:51:34 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to use ZSyncer to sync a folder on one zope to a destination
subdirectory on another zope. (IOW, not necessarily with the same parent
folder struture).

In other words, I want to sync /foo/bar on one zope to
/development/foo/bar on the other zope - and no matter what
(sub)directories I place the zsyncer objects in on the two zopes, I
always get an exact copy of the source's folder structure - I always get
/foo/bar on the destination.

I have even tried using vhosts & vhm to sync to a 'virtual' root of
/development, and yet it still doesn't work - even with the ZSyncer
object in '/development' on the destination, and syncing to
development.myhost.com/ (which points to 'myhost.com/development' in the
destination zope), I *still* get the objects dumped in the physical Zope
root.

I certainly assumed that, intuitively, the relative positions of the
souce & dest ZSyncer objects WRT their respective zope roots would have
determined the relative positions of the subsequent syncing activity -
apparently not so; they start from the Zope physical root, regardless of
even vhost settings.

This certainly makes it impossible to sync partial directory trees, or
sync multiple sites (such development, staging) to one zope site (such
as production).

I have searched extensively in all the archives, and cannot find this
issue mentioned - although it would seem to me to be a very obvious
eaarly stumbling block to adoption of ZSyncer, so perhaps I am doing
something fundamentally wrong, and there is an easy solution out there
to this that someone can point out to me.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph Wolff
eRacks Open Source Systems