[Zope] ZODB limit

nwingfield at che-llp.com nwingfield at che-llp.com
Mon Jan 26 10:14:54 EST 2004

Are you familiar with iTunes?  If so, you will be quite familiar with what
I am trying to achieve.  Zope is by nature very hierarchical.  I want to
get away from the hierarchies to the point where you can navigate documents
based on their properties only.  Change the properties and the document
will appear elsewhere - maybe even several places, depending on how you
define the routes by which you navigate.  In iTunes a route might look like
Genre > Artist > Album, or it might just be Artist > Album.  Wherever you
are in your navigation, there is always a list of documents at your
fingertips.  It is very hands-on and very quick.  In document management
world there is the potential for many more variations on this theme.  I
believe we will be frequently adding and indexing new document types and
properties - and this will be a large part of the functionality of the
application, not a backend administrative task.  Whatever database we use
will have to be very nimble.

Nathaniel