[Zope] PCGI problem

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Fri Jan 30 12:52:29 EST 2004

We are running the PCGI wrapper and we are seeing the following problem...

1. I go to my Zope (Plone) site and try to download a big file through the web.

2. It spins and spins and eventually gives server error.

3. Zope is running behind iPlanet.  This wall working fine up until now (for about 2 weeks).

4. From the iPlanet log, it looks like the request that iPlanet makes to Zope is timing out.

5. Logging in to Zope directly (avoiding PCGI, which only the admin can do) works fine.

So it seems like we've narrowed the problem down to the PCGI wrapper.  I know many people will jump in and say get rid of PCGI but that is not really an option at this point.  Can anybody explain what might cause PCGI to hang like this?  Additional data collected:

6. The size of the content being downloaded *matters*.  It fails for big stuff (38Mb) and not for small stuff (1Mb).

7. We've killed all Zope related processes and restarted them, but the problem persists.

Any suggestions on how to debug a problem like this would be very welcome.

--
Mike