[Zope] MOO vs Zope

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Jan 30 22:40:02 EST 2004

In my research of online collaborative systems I frequently
see references to MOO or MUD based systems.  After some
reading on the subject, it seems to me that the Zope OFS
could be considered a MOO -- or at least very much like
one.

Can anybody comment on that?

What (if anything) would a MOO server system be more adept
than a Zope server at?  And would it be logical to emulate
MOO-based technologies using Zope OFS as the database?

I've essentially already committed to using Zope at the core
of my application, but I'm interested in this connection,
and whether there are "pros and cons to each" or "they are
essentially the same thing".  This will also help me to
write documentation for people coming from a MUD/MOO
background.

Cheers,
Terry

Acronyms:

Zope OFS = Zope Object File System (what you see in the
mgmt screens)
MOO   = "MUD, Object Oriented"
MUD    = "Multi-User Dungeon" (a collaborative environment
that resembles text adventure games).