[Zope] Any working experiences in using compression (for storage)?

Jonathan Hobbs toolkit at magma.ca
Wed Jul 7 08:38:23 EDT 2004

From: "John Lenton" <jlenton at gmail.com>
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 03:42:40 -0500, Ausum Studio
> <ausum_studio at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please elaborate. I don't get the relationship between APE and
compression
> > issues.
>
> sorry, I should've been more verbose. You're wanting to compress to go
> around a limit in the size of the data.fs, whereas I think it'd be
> easier to use a different storage to satisfy your needs: either Ape,
> or DirectoryStorage, or LocalFS.

If you are running zope under an early version of python (ie. before python
2.2) then the Data.fs size limit is 2Gb. Here are two potential solutions:

(1) Use DBTab to mount multiple .fs files (each one can be up to 2Gb)

(2) Install zope with a version of python >= 2.2 - supports 64 bit
addressing which enables files up to ~9200 Terabytes - which should be
enough to keep you going for a while :)

Jonathan