[Zope] Newbie question about Zope/Plone interaction

Daniel Cruz danielcruz562 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 10:56:42 EDT 2004

Zope Folk,

    Hey all.  I’m pretty sure that what I’m about to ask is a pretty stupid question, but for the life of me I can’t figure it out.  I’m not a programmer by trade, and am just volunteering to build a site for a small Human Rights NGO in Eastern Europe.  I figured it’d be no problem since I know Dreamweaver pretty well, but they didn’t mention any dynamic needs till after I’d agreed.  Sneaky bastards.  ;)  Anyways, I installed Plone & Zope on Monday and had a pretty easy time getting it up and running and converting some static pages I’d built into Zope Page Templates.  The problem is that I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to get my ZPTs to display the content I’ve already entered into Plone and had no success.  I’ve read the Plone manual, done the Zope Tutorial, and read all of the parts of the Zope manual that seem applicable, but I’m still hitting my head against a brick wall.

    Here are the assumptions I’ve been working under:  A. The front-end users at the office can enter content through the Plone portal which in turn can be displayed by ZPTs.  B.  My site folder in Zope should be in a separate folder than the one that contains Plone.  C.  My ZPTs can access content in Plone by simple statements like “<span tal:content="Plone/latest"></span>”, “Plone” being the Plone folder in the Zope Root Folder, “latest” being the name of a news item I’ve uploaded into Plone.  I’ve been told on the online chat that I should be entering “here.latest” and I’ve tried that as well, using every possible permutation of what “here” may mean (including literally “here”) with no luck.

     So can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong and why I can’t access my Plone content in my ZPTs?  I’m sure it’s obvious, but it’s not jumping out at me.  I really only need dynamic content for 6 pages, and I’m hesitant to start creating the other 120 until I’ve got this figured out, so I’m kind of at a standstill.  Anyways, if you’ve gotten this far thanks for reading.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

      Cheers,

             Daniel Cruz

http://mail.yahoo.com