[Zope] Edge Side Includes and Zope

Eugene el-spam at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 8 12:21:33 EDT 2004

Hello Jens,

JV> You don't say what your Zope application does.
I'm using Plone 2.0.2 on Zope 2.7.0, Python 2.3.3, platform FreeBSD
5.2.1. Machine - P4 1.8GHz

JV> It might be enough to
JV> put a cache in front of Zope and use built-in tools (HTTP accellerated
JV> cache  manager, Cache Policy Manager in CMF) to make sure the right
JV> headers are set.
I read about caching, but I think it's not enough, bacause HTTP
caching works well only for anonymous users - we can't show one shopping
bascket to different users.
In this case I can cache only pictures and some common pages on the
site.

I see ESI approach better, bacause in all pages there're static and
dynamic blocks and we don't need to render static block once again.
Just imagine... pages for one goods for different peoples are the
same, except for bascket block. So we can think of this page as of a
big template with one included block. We can cache it and paste
necessary info for different users. Thinking in such a way gave me an
idea to save my pages on the server in .shtml files and serve them
with blocks when user need them. I was very close to finish this plan
(saving pages and pathing them for apache was ready)
but saw ESI site.
I guess this is a right approach for distributed page generation.

JV> The ESI statements can be put into any page template in Zope, there is
JV> no need for Zope to specifically support it. ESI support needs to be
JV> built into the cache, and Squid 3 (still in beta) has it.
Do you know does apache support ESI?
May be mod_proxy or mod_cache can? I seeked but didn't found any info
about it.
Have you any statistics about ESI servers, how many, sites on them
etc..?

Than you!

--
Best regards,