[Zope] Hi + question

Steven Hodgen shodgen at solomonschool.com
Fri Jul 16 18:27:22 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Zope (even newer to Zope on Linux) and I'm having a few
problems getting it installed and running properly.

I've successfully installed and run Zope, but to achieve as a non-root user,
I must install Zope and an instance in my '~' directory.  This is great, but
I do need to be able to run Zope at port 80.  As a side note, many of the
docs on Zope.org treat doing this as a minor issue, and seem to promote the
idea of running it at 8080.  I'm a little confused by this.  I understand
that this has some security advantages, but I don't understand why anyone
would do this under normal circumstances.  I mean, no one goes to
www.blah.net:8080

Pardon me if I'm being ignorant, but I would think this would be the
exception, rather than rule.  Zope.org gives me the impression that 8080 is
(or should be) the rule.

Anyway, back to real life.  In any case, I decided to try installing Zope to
the default location, assuming that this was the best general location,
being the default and all.

Everything works fine with:

  # ./configure
  # make
  # sudo make install

The zopewiki Installing 2.7 site, likes to put the instance in a users /home
directory, so I try:

  # /opt/Zope-7.1/bin/mkzopeinstance.py -d ~/scs-instance -u root:pw

I get:

  [Errno 13] Permission denied: './README.txt'

Ok, between zopewiki.org and the doc/INSTALL.txt, you'd think I'd have this
licked, but nooOOOooo. :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After this they have me chown and chmoding instance directories, and I'm
looking forward to what goes wrong then.  Any additional advice in hopes of
preventing further posts from me would be equally appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

--Steven Hodgen