[Zope] Hi + question

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Jul 17 00:06:10 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 03:27:22PM -0700, Steven Hodgen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to Zope (even newer to Zope on Linux) and I'm having a few
> problems getting it installed and running properly.
>
> I've successfully installed and run Zope, but to achieve as a non-root user,
> I must install Zope and an instance in my '~' directory.  This is great, but
> I do need to be able to run Zope at port 80.  As a side note, many of the
> docs on Zope.org treat doing this as a minor issue, and seem to promote the
> idea of running it at 8080.  I'm a little confused by this.  I understand
> that this has some security advantages, but I don't understand why anyone
> would do this under normal circumstances.  I mean, no one goes to
> www.blah.net:8080

Right... and hardly anyone ever runs zope on the internet without a
reverse proxy server in front. Normally it's behind apache, squid, or something
else running on port 80.  For one thing, lots of malicious clients
make invalid requests and it helps to have something like apache filtering
those out so they never even hit zope.
--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com