[Zope] Hi + question

Steven Hodgen shodgen at solomonschool.com
Mon Jul 19 14:57:43 EDT 2004

I'm somewhat confused.  The default install location for Zope is /opt.  In
order to install here, you must do it via root.  The only thing I've done as
root, is 'sudo make install', since I must.  Now, the installation tutorial
on 'plope.org', recommends doing it this way, although it is true that the
INSTALL.txt file in doc/ does recommend not installing as root, but the
default location would seem to indicate otherwise.  I've seen references to
installing to /usr/local, and a user's /home.  Please understand that I'm
not a linux guru, at least not yet.  I have, however, been a software
engineer for years, since '80, but only recently have I started exploring
linux.  At this point, the proper method for utilizing the linux directory
hierarchy is a bit of a mystery.  All I know is that I want to install Zope
in a way which is most consistent with the intent of Linux Filesystem
Hierarchy "standard?", which is somewhat unclear as to where third party
software should be installed.  It seems that /usr/local and /opt are valid
locations, with /opt being, perhaps, primary.  That being the case, /opt
would seem a very reasonable place to put Zope, although based on this
standard Zope's log files should be somewhere in /var/log, and it's data
files somewhere else in /var, since the data changes via ZMI?  Please
overlook what may be obvious ignorance.  You may well feel that Installing
and running Zope is not the best tutorial for a linux newbie, but that's how
I learn everything.  I just jump in with both feet.  I want a secure system,
and perhaps 8080 is good for now, but I would want to be able to easily
change to 80 without having to reinstall Zope, etc.

Based on some reading, I was under the impression that it was ok to run Zope
as root, since it automatically  lowered it's user status to the one in
zope.cfg after performing some root required initializations.

Ok, I'm finished displaying my newbie status, at least for the moment.  :-)

Thanks for your help and patience.

--Steven