[Zope] Zope 2.7.2 breaks Plone 2.0.3 login_form

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:41:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:50 -0400, Passin, Tom <tpassin at mitretek.org> wrote:
> It's probably not quite that CDATA sections "aren't meant to protect you
> from everything."  They _are_, at least in xml (where everything means
> "<" and "&").  Chances are that the browser here is getting an HTML
> file, or at least thinks it is, and HTML does not really know about
> CDATA sections.

Hey Tom!

This is definately for text/html and not any sort of XML, which uses a
different parser.

The problem here isn't in the browser; it's a matter of how the
HTMLParser module from Python's standard library is treating the "</"
pair.  As I read it, even in a CDATA marked section, "</" is supposed
to be recognized as a "delimiter in context."  HTMLParser is doing
exactly that, but HTML authors are not accustomed to parsers that are
more strict than those found in browsers.  Thus, this sort of
confusion can arise, and especially so when a more browser-like parser
was being used to begin with.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation