[Zope] Zope 2.7.0 and custom_zodb.py

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jun 3 17:02:14 EDT 2004

John E. Barham wrote at 2004-6-2 16:52 -0700:
>However, Zope 2.7.0
>still reads in the custom_zodb.py file if you create it but only complains
>when you try to manage it through the ZMI.  IMHO it should either refuse to
>load custom_zodb.py (and print some message giving the recommended
>alternative) or else let you manage it from the ZMI.

It is not always easy to strike the balance between
cleanness and backward compatibility:

Usually, when you use a "custom_zodb" you make the customazation
in this file and *not* via the ZMI. Otherwise, it is unclear
what customization should win.

With Zope 2.7, a "custom_zodb" is almost in all cases no longer
necessary. However, why force someone with a "custom_zodb" setup
to switch to "zope.conf" customization and drop "custom_zodb"?
I would have asked "why?" had Zope 2.7 told me I had to do that.

Nowadays, I see that Zope has a bug with "custom_zodb" handling
and I recognize that it is not worth to fix it.
I dropped "custom_zodb".

--
Dieter