[Zope] Zope 2.7.0 and custom_zodb.py

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 04:42:32 EDT 2004

John E. Barham wrote:
> Relational database connections are distributed from the general database
> connection pool.  See:
> http://www.zope.org/Members/petrilli/ZSQLFAQ

That article is old, unclear and misleading.

The relationship between connections to a relational database and the DA object
isn't as rigid as Chris implies. Take, for example, my branch of the ZOracleDA
adapter, which has it's own pool of Oracle connections that it shares across all
DA instances.

> Elsewhere it's recommended that the database connection pool size be larger
> than the thread pool size.

Where and why?

There's no benefit in having more database connections that publisher threads,
unless the publisher is leaking database connections, which it doesn't and
usually doesn't...

Just occurred to me that you may be misunderstanding what a "database
connection" is, since the zope terminology is horribly confused.

The "SQL Connection" object you add through the ZMI is NOT a database
connection, either relational or ZODB, and the number of those objects has
nothing to do with the zodb pool size and not much to do with the number of
connections from Zope to your relational database.

BTW, what relational database and what database adapter are you using?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk