[Zope] Link of the Day

Bert Vanderbauwhede bert.vanderbauwhede at ugent.be
Tue Jun 8 03:24:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:48:23 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

 > On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:21:25AM +0200, Bert Vanderbauwhede wrote:
 >
 >> The only thing I can conclude, is that the problem is caused by
 >> requests
 >> that somehow lock up Zope. These requests come from one or more users
 >> at the university.
 >
 > Just a guess, but maybe there are some local user(s) who are infected
 > with worms / virii that are DOSing your Zope?

That is one of the possibilities. But it doesn't have to be a virus.
There is very little

 > I'd look through your Zope access log and see if it's only the number
 > of requests that are a problem, or the

I was thinking of using the Apache logs to 'replay' the requests of
friday, and see if I can recreate the problem. I haven't had time to do
it yet.

 > I've seen on some of my sites that extremely large numbers of requests
 > to non-existent pages can effectively DOS zope.

This is interresting. This can explain what happened when I got all
those M$ WebDAV requests. And when I had the same problem two weeks ago,
I noticed a whole bunch of requests for Apache error pages, that were
proxied to Zope, but which Zope couldn't find of course.

 > But I've never
 > found a solution other than waiting for the storm to subside.

Too bad. In the case of those M$ WebDAV requests, I was able to locate
the users who were causing the trouble and make them stop. But then
again, those WebDAV requests were easy to spot in access_log. This time,
it's a bit harder.

 > Another guess: Do you use ZEO?

No.

Bert Vanderbauwhede...
--
"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away."
   -- Alexander LaVelle Harris