[Zope] Re: External http access.

Ben Last (Zope) zope at benlast.com
Thu Jun 10 05:01:07 EDT 2004

> Michael Haubenwallner
> i think your wrong here. please have a look at
> Boa Constructor (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/)
> the distribution includes a set of methods to access a zope server by
> xmlrpc from boa-constructor.
It does - the "zoa" stuff that it installs in the root of a Zope instance.
This is a set of wrapper scripts.  I was trying to avoid having to write a
set of wrapper scripts.  Mea culpa - I think my earlier email was not clear.

I guess I misunderstood when I was evaluating Zope; without wrapping many of
the management methods, it's equivalent to doing remote operations by
screen-scraping.  I'm not trying to be controversial or to annoy here; it's
just that I understood one of the *big* advantages of Zope was that it could
be managed (and by this I mean items uploaded, deleted, renamed, listed,
etc) very easily using http.  It looks to me as though that's true only for
given values of "easily" - if one wants to parse HTML responses to detect
errors and write wrapper scripts to do much of the work, then it's possible.

regards,
ben