[Zope] can't install external editor, help

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Fri Jun 11 08:46:18 EDT 2004

aamehl wrote:

> unreal, it pays not to work late at night.
>
> I ran python-2.2 setup.py install, which of course needed to be python
> setup.py install.
>
> once I dropped the 2.2 all was well.
>
> now I need to figure out  why I can't create the temp file to start
> editing.
>
> I just install the External editor and when I click the pencil icon in
> the ZMI, I get the following error:
>

> /tmp-1 could not be saved, because the source file couldnot be read. Try
> again later,orcontactthe server administrator.
>
> I tried running the link from the commandline (linux) but got the
> following.
>
> aamehl at XANNVYQD439:~$ zopeedit.py
> http://xannvyqd439:8080/externalEdit_/lilycomp
> FATAL ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> 'http://xannvyqd439:8080/externalEdit_/lilycomp'
> <http://xannvyqd439:8080/externalEdit_/lilycomp%27>
> Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "ExternalEditor instance has no
> attribute 'did_lock'" in <bound method ExternalEditor.__del__ of
> <__main__.ExternalEditor instance at 0x4029760c>> ignored
> aamehl at XANNVYQD439:~$
> Whatdo I need to do to get this up and running??

You're on the right track, but zopeedit.py does not work on its own.  It
works between zope, your browser and an editor that you specify.  The
browser creates the temp file.

The README has more info, but in short, you need to:

1.  Edit your ~/.zope-external-edit file and enable an editor or two.
2.  Set-up your browser to handle MIME type application/x-zope-edit with
zopeedit.py.
3.  Click the external edit icon in the ZMI, in your browser.

-- Jim Washington