[Zope] Zope, Squid and manage_workspace

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jun 13 13:06:17 EDT 2004

Eddie Butcher wrote at 2004-6-13 15:02 +0100:
> ... "manage_workspace" and "manage_main" work directly accessed;
      "manage_main" does, when accessed via Squid, "manage_workspace"
      does not ...

>I haven't set a VHM as there are not yet any virtual hosts within ZOPE.
>Surely I don't need a VHM for the / directory, it already resolves to a true
>DNS name that I use to manage the site. I tried creating a SiteRoot in /
>that matches the DNS name but it didn't help.

Zope usually listens on a port different from 80 (as this is
protected and requires a process running as root).
Therefore, the URLs it creates contain its port and not that
of Squid.

A SiteRoot might be enough to fix the port. But, I never
used "SiteRoot"s and much prefer VHM.

You can configure VHM to perform its actions without
external URL rewriting. VHM is documented on a
tab of VHMs ZMI.

>> Did you set up SQUID and Zope to use URL rewriting
>>
>I've looked at all the Squid docs and FAQs I can find, if you could point me
>at something to read, I'd be grateful.

I am no Squid expert. I know only what I read in the Zope mailing lists ;-)

What I understood: Squid does not directly support URL rewriting
but can call external URL rewriters (and there are such rewriters
implemented in Python). As you do not really use virtual hosting,
there is probably no need to perform URL rewriting by Squid.

--
Dieter