[Zope] Re: Joel On Software - Good strategic article

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Jun 24 18:16:08 EDT 2004

Ng Pheng Siong wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:22:04PM +0200, Max M wrote:
>
>>I just read this. Good read!
>>
>>http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html
>>
>>It has some *very* good points. They are especially interresting for us
>>working on Web apps.
>>
>>If you read between the lines it's also a pointer to why Z3 is an
>>important step to get right.
>

> I stop delivery of this list's mail a long while ago, but it seems the list
> migration has unset this and I'm getting mail again. Let's hope the admins
> fix this soon.
>
> Anyhow, since you mentioned Joel, he has another article wherein he lambda,
> oops, lambasted Netscape for _rewriting the browser from scratch_, which he
> claimed is the primary reason for Netscape's losing the browser war.

I knwo that one. It's long been a favourite of mine. But the other side
of the equatione there, is that they abandoned their old version, and
tried to make a clean break.

No such thing is tried with Z3. Z2 & Z3 will be complemtary for a while.
After which Z3 should take over.

Besides... I am not shure that MS has won the browser war yet. Mozilla
is a far better browser.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/