[Zope] Re: Restricting Posts to Subscribers

Andrew Sawyers andrew at zope.com
Mon Jun 28 10:55:33 EDT 2004

Members only posting has been restricted since Friday, late evening (or
so says Ken 'I'm evil, so don't mess with me' Manheimer).  We are still
doing as much at the MTA as possible; but the lists will require
membership to post.
It's my understanding GMane is not a problem in posting to restricted lists.
Andrew
Nick Bower wrote:

> What about us GMane users?  This method of participation is actually
> reccommended as perferred for all Plone lists. And no wonder imho -
> news is far superior to mail for participating in high traffic forums!
>
> Other posters have raised similar concerns.
>
> Unrelated - have you tried grey-listing also?
>
> http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/
>

> Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>
>> A similar discussion is taking place on zope-dev and I'd like to
>> bring that here as well.  I'd like to propose that we change the
>> Mailman policy for this list to restrict posting to subscribers
>> only.  I'm sure others will agree and others will not.   Some of the
>> recent issues I've seen are:
>> A) I can't stop some logical extensions (.zip) which are now
>> containing virus' from getting to the list without causing problems
>> for those who are possibly attaching valid attachments
>> B) We can't stop all spam - we're using 3 rbl lists to stop as much
>> as we can; that is not good enough IMNSHO
>> C) We can stop outside mailers from replying to the list illogically
>> My vote is for refusing posts from non-subscriber emails.
>>
>> Let the beatings begin.
>> Andrew

Zope Corporation
Software Engineer