[Zope] Zope 2.6.4/2.7 Slow FTP...again.

Thomas Bennett bennettt at pm.appstate.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:59:40 EST 2004

 From a previous posting from Pollard:
"It is worth noting that FTP upload is full-speed. Also noteworthy is that
the CPU on this box is going to 100% when I download via FTP (45% user/55%
system)."

I setup a Dell 700mhz machine with Fedora Core 1 and Zope 2.7 with Python
2.3 and experienced a similar occurence on the client machine when trying
to do the first upload to the server.  That is, the client machine went
down to almost 0 ram available when connecting to the Zope ftp server with
a Dreamweaver4 client.  I tried the old WAR FTP Client and upon connecting
the ram went down to almost 0.  In both instances I killed the ftp client
so I wouldn't have to reboot the client and used System Mechanic 4's ram
defrag utility to recover lost ram on my W2k client.  I couldn't put a
file on the server at all.  Having used DW on at least 3 different servers
having run at least 4 different versions of Zope since the my first
installation I found Dreamweaver _always_ needed Passive FTP turned on.
For this new site I turned off Passive FTP on the client and connected to
the Zope 2.7 with virtually no problem.  One or two files originally did
not transfer well but after that files transfer fine.  I don't know if
this might shine some new light on this but I don't recall seeing Passive
FTP mentioned in any other threads on this topic except for excerpts from
connections that showed going into Passive Mode on the server.

I hadn't tried a large file before so I've just tested a 4mb file with
Dreamweaver 4 not passive ftp

put 800k/s

get 25k/s

To me this would appear to be a server side change because of the Passive
FTP setting, but I'm not sure if it is in the OS or Zope.

Thomas