[Zope] Multiple Zope instances

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 10 13:09:36 EST 2004

John Poltorak wrote:
>>>Are there any good references to setting up and using multiple Zope
>>>instances?
>
> I want to have a production Zope and one for testing/learning on the same
> machine.
>
> I can't visualise how this would work. As I see it you only need one lot
> of software but two databases. If that is the case I don't know how you
> would add the second.

You want to look into the environment variable "INSTANCE_HOME".  This is
where Zope will store all of it's data.  So starting two Zope's with two
different "INSTANCE_HOME" (and listening on different ports, obviously)
will give you what you want.

I'm not sure on any references for your distro in particular, but just
look at the start script that comes with Zope.  I think it sets
INSTANCE_HOME to the location of the start script itself using some
bash backtick-fu.  Just make two copies of this script and change
the INSTANCE_HOME to in each one to the locations you want.

JZ