[Zope] Multiple Zope instances

Peter Bengtsson mail at peterbe.com
Wed Mar 10 13:52:03 EST 2004

John Poltorak wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:45:11PM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>John Poltorak wrote:
>>

>>>Are there any good references to setting up and using multiple Zope
>>>instances?
>>
>>Much the same as setting up one ;-)
>>
>>What's the stuff that's worrying you?
>

> I want to have a production Zope and one for testing/learning on the same
> machine.
>
> I can't visualise how this would work. As I see it you only need one lot
> of software but two databases. If that is the case I don't know how you
> would add the second.

My suggestion is that you run two servers on different port numbers.
To do this you need, I think, Zope270 and make two instances. For this
you get different databases and different zope.conf's (where you set
your port numbers)

What's common between them is the Zope library files. I.e. lib/python
and lib/python/Products.

Setting up two instances is easy if you read the INSTALL.txt file and
you'll have two different Extension and Products folders to make your
differences.

The difference is pretty small actually. Why not just install two
completely different Zope's. If the second is just for development and
testing it can't be that big a save to run multiple instances.

--
Peter Bengtsson, http://www.peterbe.com