[Zope] Keeping data throughout a session

Michael.Rinner at cellzome.com Michael.Rinner at cellzome.com
Fri Mar 12 09:52:04 EST 2004

Hi,

I've got the following problem:

I want to keep several choices users make during a site visit persistent
in memory during their session. Not all of those fields appear on each
page or are needed, but the values should still be available all the time
so they can be used for various selections.

Now I could simply use hidden input fields and carry the values over and
over from one page to another, but that seems quite an awkward way to do
this. So I store them as Session data, which works fine so far except for
if a user opens several browser windows, which however happens quite
often. In that case, changes done in one window affect the selection in
another window, as there is only one shared session object obviously.

Does anyone have an idea what the best way would be to handle this? I'd
like to automatically keep values valid that are selected at random times
for seperate windows and their subwindows, without affecting values stored
for other windows. And all of that hopefully without major changes to
various places in the DTML and script files...

Thanks in advance,

Michael Rinner