[Zope] Re: WEBDAV & FireFox

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Mar 17 19:01:06 EST 2004

Paul Browning wrote:

> --On 17 March 2004 15:33 +0000 John Poltorak <jp at warpix.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm still trying to work out how WEBDAV differs from an FTP
>> filesystem  driver...
>
> Here's two differences:
>
> 1. File locking (that's the DA bit - Distributed Authoring - you
>   don't stomp on other people's stuff).
>
> 2. Easily secured over SSL (no passwords in the clear)
>
> 3. Increasingly ftp is blocked at firewalls
>
> Others are likely to extend this list ....

WebDAV is an extension to the HTTP protocol, and thus is
REQUEST/RESPONSE based unlike FTP. (This can be more efficientalso
allows it to be sneaky wrt firewalls.)

A regular HTTP resource also maps to a WebDAV resource more directly
than FTP.

There's more, but you're right that they basically provide the same sort
of service. Note that Zope treats them similarly.

See also:

http://webdav.org/other/faq.html

          --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."