[Zope] Catalog query time

Kevin Carlson khcarlso at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 18 13:15:45 EST 2004

I have a single folder in a zope instance that contains about 8000 pdf
files.  Each of those files is indexed using TextIndexNG (1.09),  along
with having a Subject and Type index that are both Field indexes.  I am
using portal_catalog under CMF 1.2 , Zope 2.6.1, python 2.1.3.

Querying the catalog has begun to take much more time recently and I am
wondering if there are any things that I can check into regarding what
might be slowing things down.  I have a simple query returned from a
MySQL database that in turn drives a search of the catalog on Subject
and Type.  I am using the following syntax:

query = context.getDBSubjectForUser(userID=userID)
for q in query :
  docResults = context.portal_catalog({'Subject' : q.subject, 'Type' :
'Template'})

This query is taking quite a while and occasionally errs out with a ZODB
conflict error for certain subjects returned from the database(traceback
below) :

    Site Error

*ZODB.POSException.ConflictError*

Sorry, a site error occurred.

Traceback (innermost last):

    * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 150, in publish_module
    * Module Zope.App.startup, line 142, in zpublisher_exception_hook
    * Module Zope.App.startup, line 200, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 235, in commit
    * Module ZODB.Transaction, line 349, in _commit_objects
    * Module ZODB.Connection, line 391, in commit
      __traceback_info__: (('Products.Transience.Transience',
      'Increaser'), '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x06', '')
    * Module Products.TemporaryFolder.TemporaryStorage, line 134, in store

ConflictError: database conflict error (oid 0000000000000006, serial was
0353d48778e55b88, now 0353d485d3dba833)

Any ideas what could be causing this type of behavior?

Thanks,

Kevin