[Zope] Re: Posting to ZWiki from DTML from within the same Plone instance

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Thu Mar 18 10:57:18 EST 2004

Hi Scott,

> Yes. I have two DTML pages, Feedback (which collects data) and SendFeedback

right, DTML-aware wiki pages, I'm assuming -

> Thanks! But I can't find an Editing.py file anywhere in my Zope
> (2.6.1)/Plone (1.0.5)/ZWiki (0.24.0) setup.

it was introduced in 0.25; look in ZWikiPage.py instead. Tip, just
search all .py files for 'def methodname' and you'll find it.

> Does anything need to go into the Feedback sending page? Right now it is a
> simple form:
>
> <form onsubmit="return validate(this, order_check)" action="SendFeedback"
> method="post">

There's no DTML in the above. I think action="SendFeedback" will indeed
take you to the right place - try submitting the form and make sure you
end up on that page.

Then, put a dtml-var REQUEST at the top of SendFeedback. You'll be able
to see your form values being posted.

Next, replace that with some dtml that does whatever processing you want
- sending the form data by mail, or whatever. You should probably
enclose this inside a dtml-if statement which checks for one of the
known form fields, so that this code only executes when form data has
been posted.

I personally would take one more step and move the form processing code
(inside dtml-if) onto the Feedback page and make the page post to
itself. I think it's clearer to handle a simple form like this with one
page. http://zwiki.org/UserOptions is an example (just ignore the cookie
stuff).

You'll find more help at zwiki.org if you need it - good luck!