[Zope] Using the Property Manager to build simple forms...

Russell Fine MisterFine at fineline-services.com
Fri Mar 19 09:36:38 EST 2004

I'm a newbie to developing products in Zope, and am struggling with how to easily build classes with multiple property sheets that don't allow the user to add and remove fields.  I've looked at ZClasses, but everyone says not to use them.  I've looked at inheriting from PropertyManager but the standard interface allows the user to modify the fields.  Here's what I need :

1. The ability to define properties for an object.

2. The ability to set up one or more ZMI forms to change the values in these properties.  The purpse of multiple forms is that there may be many properties, and I want to group them into bite-size chunks.  Also, different people will be editing different groups.

3. The ability to derive an object from a base class that itself has pre-defined properties and it's own editing pages.

4. I don't want to hand code property editing pages every time I add a simple property (like a text or date field).

Thanks,

Russell Fine