[Zope] Blocking image/photo hotlinking

Ulrich Wisser ulrich.wisser at relevanttraffic.se
Mon Mar 22 04:30:49 EST 2004

Hi Jake,

> I have noticed that more and more sites are hotlinking images from my
> Zope site. There seem to be solutions for Apache using .httaccess but
> nothing in Zope or for the products.

the easiest solution would be to create a Python Script, that returns
the image in case the referer matches your site or otherwise returns an
image with a message like "block due to copyright infringment".
This solution will cause some work on your site, cause you will have to
move all your images to a new location and replace the old one with the
script.

If you have Zope behind Apache you could also block requests in Apache.
Apache allows to check referer for blocking, but you can't send them an
alternative image.

Ulrich