[Zope] New install (2.6.2/RedHat9), server starts OK, can't log in

Anthony R. Thompson art at sigiltechnologies.com
Mon Mar 22 05:12:55 EST 2004

J Cameron Cooper wrote:

>> What IS the domain restriction?  What does it mean?
> It is exactly what it looks like: that user will not be authenticated
> unless the request originates in that domain. (However, this may not
> even work in 2.7 without turning it on explicitly.)

I'm using 2.6.2 and it seemed to work fine.

For the sake of the archives, I finally got this working.  Here's what I
did:

I realized I had installed the zope package as root, and when I checked
the permissions of /opt/zope, sure enough the zope user couldn't write
to it.  Since it couldn't create the "inituser" file, I figured that
could be a problem.  So I changed the permissions of all the files in
/opt/zope with chgrp -R zope * and chown -R zope *.  I later realized
that /opt/zope/var still needed to be owned by root so I did chown root
/opt/zope/var.

I checked the /var/log/zope.log file and saw that my requests were
originating from my IP address, *not* my hostname, which was what I was
giving the domain restriction as.  I guess I figured that since "who"
showed my PC's assigned domain name that Zope would use the same, but
once I specified the domain restriction as the corresponding IP address
it worked.

So, I'm not sure if it was the permissions, the IP address/name thing,
or both, but I can get the management screen now, so thanks!

Anthony