[Zope] strange performance problem

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Mar 22 10:14:06 EST 2004

Dennis,

As far as resource problems go ... Did you check the swap ? Is it used, and
if so by how much ?

I was experiencing the same thing, only it would stop responding for up to
several minutes, sometimes even long enough
that I was just not willing to wait, so I had to restart it.

I had 1GB of RAM, and the swap was holding 600-700K ... I surmised that
maybe the waits occured when swapped out information
had to be brought back or something ... So I added another GB of RAM, and
now all problems have gone away.

If that's not it, I'd look at increasing your thread count, maybe all your
threads get locked long enough for the users to notice, due
to long running actions ...

The check interval could be looked at since you're on SMP.  Since I had lots
of spare CPU cycles, I set it to 0 myself, and that makes
Zope very very responsive if you can spare the CPU power ... it's great!

Python 2.3.1 and a beta zope also could be a problem, wasn't there
issues/bugs with that ? Python 2.6.2 or 2.6.3 were officially support 2.1
... I successfully used it with 2.2 for a while, but could never get it to
run with 2.3.1 (Wouldn't even compile !).  You might want to look into the
2.7/2.3.3 combo, it's been working very well for me as far as performance
and stability.

Good luck !
J.F.