replacing ZClasses for customer (was Re: [Zope] Zope 2.7 Problem w/Value Error: unpack list of wrong size)

Paul Howell paul at smoothstone.com
Thu Mar 25 09:15:12 EST 2004

At 08:00 AM 3/25/2004, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>>programming time.  In fact we can add Feature Y now for just 750
>>>silveros more, and that will allow us to add Feature Z too, whenever
>>>you're ready."
>>
>>Wow. This is cool. I learned something today. Honestly, thank you very much.
>
>This is one of the rare cases when the world of programming and the world
>of marketing collide and don't just cause grief for the programming side :)

Yes, which is all too unfortunate.  "Getting to Yes" in marketing amounts
to determining what the customer truly wants, and then selling exactly that
(or, what seems to be "exactly that").   As programmers/consultants, we
need to make ourselves fully aware that what we create for a
client/customer should meet their needs or solve their problems.  When we
can make OUR programming desires mesh with THEIR organizational needs,
marketing becomes a simple extension of doing what we already do well.  To
do this well requires taking the time to fully understand what a customer
really wants or needs, not just what they say they need.

=Paul