[Zope] multiple languages - sorting

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Wed Mar 31 06:40:31 EST 2004

>>- Use custom PostgreSQL function? The convert function (... using
>>utf_8_to_ascii) does not provide suitable data for sorting.
>

> Define your own locale with a sort order that is acceptable by
> all of your customers.
> This task is non-trivial...

Probably impossible because I need to support all languages, even the
most "exotic" ones.

I have found a great solution based on custom PostgreSQL function. It
allows switching locales in Postgres on the fly for "SELECT... SORT BY".

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/l10n/postgresql-nls-string/README

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/l10n/postgresql-nls-string/postgresql-nls-string-0.53.tar.gz

I verified that it compiles and runs correctly. Maybe other Zopistas
will find this useful.

--
Milos Prudek