[Zope] lame newbie product intallation q's...

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon May 17 17:19:16 EDT 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 02:44 pm, sathya wrote:
> Ken Gunderson wrote:
> zope 2.7 has better facilities to run multiple instances from a
> single install. have you tried it yet ?

Precisely what I am doing.  I have Zope-2.7 with multiple instances.
Dir structure like this:

/usr/local/www/Zope/Products
/usr/local/www/Zope/lib
etc.

and then instances w/in:

/usr/local/www/Zope/instance1/Products
/usr/local/www/Zope/instance2/Products
/usr/local/www/Zope/instance3/Products

It seems logical that one could put shared products under the top level
Product dir (i.e. /usr/local/www/Zope/Products), let each instance
inherit as needed, then put custom productxyz for instance1 into that
instance's Products dir.  But that's not what I seem to get from
reading the docs, so am concerned there might be some "hidden"
consequence not readily apparent to us newbie types...

Also occurs to me that might be best from maintainability for ease of
future upgrades to just put products, e.g. Plone, in their own dir
somewhere out of the Zope tree and then symlink as needed back into
each instance's Product dir.

Seems to be more than one way to do it.  I'm pretty experienced Unix
sysadmin, but I don't have explicit experience with Zope, so I'd
appreciate any insights those who've gone before may provide.

Thanks bunches.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson
GPG Key-- 9F5179FD

"Freedom begins between the ears."      -- Edward Abbey