[Zope] zope performance issues and it just doesn't scale

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Fri May 21 11:01:54 EDT 2004

Of
> Matt Hamilton
> Subject: Re: [Zope] zope performance issues and it just doesn't scale
>
> Trevor Warren wrote:
>
> >  Bottomline....it just doesn't scale.  A simple 3 page
> > test give me throughput so bad i can't speak of. Zope
> > didn't scale...hence i tried Zeo/Zope....that didn't
> > scale too(On the same machine). Am trying Zope/Zeo
> > across machines now and will let you know about the
> > results. Apache+Zope is something i havent looked at
> > yet.
>
> You must be doing *something* wrong.

Man have I been there.  I spent a bunch of time trying to understand why
my (Plone) site was not getting cached properly.  No matter what I did,
performance was awful.  There turned out to be several different issues
all confusing each other.  In my case, one of those issues turned out to
be the fact that the accelerated HTTP cache manager had a line comment
out of it in Zope 2.7.0 that caused me quite a bit of grief (see
http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1345).  That seemed to make a big
difference for me (but I'm running Plone over Zope and Squid instead of
Apache).

This probably doesn't help with the main topic of this thread, I just
wanted to empathize with Trevor. :-)

--
Mike