[Zope] RE: Caching and Proxy Servers

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Wed May 26 08:40:28 EDT 2004

> From: Nate Aune [mailto:nate at jazkarta.com]
> Subject: Re: Caching and Proxy Servers
>

> Yes, documentation is pretty scarce when it comes to best practice
> caching.  It seems that caching is more of an art than a science.

A subtle meaning to plone4artists? :-)

> What we are doing is the following:
>
> Define a page template 'cache_Calendar' and put it in your custom skin
> folder (or whereever):
>
> <tal:calendar define="dummy python:request.set('anchor_url',
> request.URL0);
>                       dummy python:request.set('anchor_method', '');">
>     <metal:getcal
metal:use-macro="here/portlet_calendar/macros/portlet"
> />
> </tal:calendar>
>
> And then associate this template to the RAMCache. REQUEST variables
should
> be:
>
> b_start
> month
> year
>
> Then in your right_slots, you would use:
>
> portal/cache_Calendar
>
> Instead of:
>
> here/portlet_calendar/macros/portlet

Excellent idea.  I guess I got so hung up on the issues raised on
plone.org about <html> tags, etc. that I didn't even thinking of
wrapping the whole thing up in a page template.

However, I don't think this is going to work for the navigation tree
although I have to check to make sure.  The problem there is that it
*is* dependent on "here".  I suspect there is an intelligent way to
cache it, but I suspect it would have to be broken into two pieces.  One
piece would grab the file system structure and the other would render
the tree (including any children and the bolding which is location
specific).

--
Mike