[Zope] Zope 2 -> Zope 3

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Nov 8 12:03:51 EST 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 11:37, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:00:02PM +0100, Pascal Peregrina wrote:
> > I know they are completely incompatible (this is almost the first thing
> > that is said on the Zope3 homepage).
> > And that's why I am worried.  Because if Zope 3 is the future of Zope,
> > then at one point everyone will have to use it (and stop using Zope 2).
>
> No, wait, Zope 3 hasn't come out yet.
>
> What *has* come out is Zope X3 3.0.0.0.  That's _different_.
>
> X3 is not compatible at all with 2.  It is a waypoint on the roadmap to a
> non-X3 Zope 3 release which will be far more compatible with Zope 2.
>
> In other words, this is a purely experimental release featuring no
> compatibility capability.  It is not meant to be "how Zope 3 will be."
>
> At least, that's my read of their statements.

It is different, but not as different as you make it sound.

Personally, I am not that optimistic as others about providing compatibility
layers, simply because it is not possible. :-) However, I believe in a smooth
transition from Zope 2 to Zope 3. I think the Five project is the leading
example, since it allows you to design applications that run on both
platforms today. Also, I think eventually, once all the CMS actors get their
act together, we will also have a very cool, new CMS framework; I doubt it
will be CMF compatible...is that even desirable?

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter