[Zope] Re: Zope 2.6.4 receives SIGHUP

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Nov 10 11:34:20 EST 2004

Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 09/11/2004 Tim Peters wrote:
>
>>[Jonas Meurer]
>>
>>>yes, i guess that this is about the same topic. sorry for rediscovering.
>>
>>Hmm.  I'm not at all irked that you rediscovered a problem <wink>.  My
>>purpose in posting was to point you at previous discussion of the same
>>problem, so you can make quicker progress in finding a workaround that
>>suits you.
>

> hehe, i still would prefer solving the bug itself rather than building
> more and more workarounds.
>
> there is something that crashes zope. Event.log gives the information,
> that zope received a SIGHUP, and thus restarts.
>
> this problem can't be reproduced on any other machine, even if i use the
> same zope _and_ python versions, exactly similar configured and
> installed.
>
> anyway it occurs on _any_ zope installation/instance on this one
> particular server, and i still have no real glue what is causing it.

The threading implementation (LinuxThreads) of your glibc is what is
causing the problem.  You can "fix" the problem by one of two means:

   - Run with a newer, NPTL-enabled glibc.  To stay on Debian, I belive
     this would entail upgrading from Woody to Sarge.  I am only lightly
     familiar with Debian, so perhaps somebody can correct me?

   - Install an alternate threading package, and compile Python to use
     it instead of the default one in libc.  Note that I have *no* idea
     how to do this even on systems where I am more comfortable than
     with Debian.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com