[Zope] virtual hosting with apache2

Nicola Bonelli ml at ethinx.it
Tue Nov 16 07:13:33 EST 2004

Hello everyone,
I have to serve 2 zope/plone sites and 2 "normal" sites, so I have to
use virtual hosting and apache (I chose apache2).

That problem is that it simply doesn't work for me! Let me say Zope
(and Plone) are working fine.
My system is: Debian Woody, Zope 2.7.2, Plone, 2.0.4, Apache2.

I followed tha istructions found in zope book, virtual hosting
services section: I enabled rewrite and proxy module, added a VHM and
these lines to default file in site-enabled:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.example.com
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.example.com:80/vhm_test/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

Of course I change www.example.com in www.mysite.com.

When I start apache, I get an error like Could not determine the
server's fully qualified domain name: where to set it up?

Anyway, do I have to create n files in site-enabled where n is the
number of mysite (and adding the lines above?) ? And what about
documentroot for zope websites?

Typing www.mysite.com I see Zope Quick Start page! This is strange
because it listens to 8080 port! So some kind of proxying is
working...

Can anyone help me please? Contact me if you need more information to
solve my problem.

Thank you in advance.

Bye.