[Zope] CMF Photo Album + "Raw" Image Formats

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Mon Nov 29 15:18:34 EST 2004

Two Cents,

TIFF images are lossless, and popular, but don't display in a browser.
TIFF is also splintered as a file format, talk to a graphic designer,
TIFF has changed over the last ten years, and most apps allow for the
various forms.  You might want to start with TIFFs in your xsane scanner
app.

As an archive, I would use JPG... it's lossy (by combining like colors),
but if you specifically set it to 100%, you should get no compression.
It's also a well defined, cross platform, standard.

Although Zope/Plone will store any type of image data, only certain
types will display in a browser, and only certain types can be
converted, whether it be by PIL or ImageMagick.  I'm not familiar with
PNM files... it may be raw, but certainly not mainstream, at least not
yet... make sure PIL or ImageMagick supports this.

BTW, you'll probably get better answers on the Plone Mailing List, for
Plone products using Plone & CMF... more folks there will be using your
setup.

-Jon Cyr