[Zope] LDAPUserSatellite - Misunderstood usage?

Chris Connett chrisconnett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 01:46:58 EDT 2004

Hello, I've been trying to find a description of how the
LDAPUserSatellite objects in the LDAPUserFolder Product actually
should be used.  I've read the included docs and google searched for
answers, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Basically I've got a large directory of users, and want to give some
additional roles in some subfolders of my site.  I have a single
subfolder below the Zope root housing my site, which contains an
LDAPUserFolder connected to this directory, with the original user
folder still in place, with one user (admin).  I don't have write
access to the directory I'm authenticating against (the directory is
operated by my school), so I've got LDAP group status stored locally
in the LDAPUserFolder, and read-only set on the directory.  When I map
a group to a role in the LDAPUserFolder itself, the users in the group
get that role for the whole site.  My understanding from the docs I
have found is that if I create a satellite in a subfolder, then I can
map groups to roles there, and then those mappings will be in effect
for that subfolder.  This does not seem to be working.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or where my
understanding might be flawed?

--
Chris Connett