[Zope] ZCataloging without ZClasses

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Oct 11 13:29:57 EDT 2004

massimop at users.berlios.de wrote at 2004-10-10 23:40 +0200:
>the chapter 'Searching and Categorizing Content' of the ZopeBook seems
>to rely on ZClasses,

It does not...

Of course, in order to index an object under a value,
the object must have a attribute (or method) the returns
this value.

ZClasses come with "PropertySheets" (to define attributes)
and methods. Both can be used for indexing (and MetaData determination).

Without ZClasses, your options are:

  *  properties

  *  acquired methods (usually PythonScripts)

  *  persistent classes in products with their attributes
     and methods

  *  Archetypes.

>the name is promising, but I can't find any documentation yet
>I'll do a bit of guessing

Reread the "Searching" section in the Zope Book.

Maybe, you find also useful:

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

and

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope#ManagableIndex>