[Zope] ZCataloging without ZClasses

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Oct 12 13:11:55 EDT 2004

Please stay on the list... readded...

massimop at users.berlios.de wrote at 2004-10-11 20:23 +0200:
> ... cataloguing objects ...
>now I know (I think) that I can use properties and call catalog_object
>to put objects in the ZCatalog, but this isn't explained in that chapter

It is not explained explicitely because it follows from
basic principles:

  When an object "o" is indexed in an index "I", then
  "I" uses its name to obtain a value "v" from "o".

  The standard way is to use "o.I". If "o.I" is callable,
  it is called; otherwise, it is used directly -- in pseudo code:

     v = getattr(o, I.getId())
     if callable(v): v = v()

  This means that you can use anything that can be
  accessed in the form "o.I" or "o.I()".

Properties, properties in PropertySheets (ZClasses) either of
the object itself or acquired
and methods, PythonScripts either on the object itself
or acquired can be used to integrate the object with
the ZCatalog.

--
Dieter