[Zope] Re: Zope is a POS.

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 05:32:11 EDT 2004

> 0. No standard DB support.
> I don't think ZPoPyDa has been updated since 2001.  I'm sure that
> fills new developers with lots of confidence.  Perhaps it works fine,
> but it's not being improved.  Perhaps other DB interfaces are better.
> But then again ZSQL Methods are still ancient and in DTML.
You're right about ZPoPyDa, but why to use it having psycopg, which is
newer (dated from 2003-11-24, which is not bad) and works with zope
2.7.2? I agree also that ZSQL Methods look weard, but they work.
However, you could also user pure python if you want, after all they are
just wrappers. And about the DA changes, I think there isn't much things
to improve them, after all the heavy work is still done by the database
engine.

> 2. Debugging.
> This is worse.  It is so complicated to debug Products or Zope crap I
> can't believe it.  This is relative to PHP or JSP or ASP; all I have
> worked with.
I think there is a commercial IDE, which works with Python, Zope, and
Plone. If debugging is a concern to you, then buy it.

> 4. DTML/ZPT
> Seems 90% of Products are in DTML yet ZPT seems like the obvious thing
> to use. Fine, except when you need to tweak a product and then have to
> learn DTML. PHP is PHP same  for the most part with ASP (all VB if you
> like) or JSP (all java if you like).
I think that's not a zope's problem. The choosing of DTML or ZPT is done
by the developer and not by zope corp. Welcome to open source.

> Honestly. If I new know what I do about zope I would not recommend it
> for commercial development.  Go with a product that lots of people are
> using, this way you are ensured that components will be well supported
> and improved over time. Not dropped because the author has moved on.
I think zope is also well supported, the comunity is great and it's used
by lots of people. Perhaps the documentation isn't good sometimes (I
included me here as well), but it is open source, so the people doing it
isn't hired to write it. It is a voluntary effort.

Anyway, I only have to say that I'm a happy zope user and I really
appreciate the effort of the core and product developers. Thanks to all
of them.

Regards,
Josef