[Zope] zcatalog query sends zope spinning

Jonathan Hobbs toolkit at magma.ca
Thu Sep 2 16:14:18 EDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- > I have a ZCatalog containing some 400,000+
objects.  I recently rebuilt the
> catalog due to corruption, so it should be in pristine condition.  Today I
> issued a simple query (one condition) of the ZCatalog which should have
> returned a very large number of objects.  My intention was to generate a
> data export that I could then import into another system.  The query ran
> for 2 hours, at which point I discovered that Zope was hung and completely
> unresponsive.  I had to break out the 'kill -9' to get it to die.
>
> Does anyone have any hints on getting large amounts of data out of the
ZODB
> using the ZCatalog (or otherwise)?  My efforts thus far have proven
futile.

We have had no problem dumping a ZCatalog with about 1million records to a
file using an external method.

We also mount a separate .fs file which only contains the ZCatalog; this
makes it easier to update the zcatalog on anther machine and then just swap
in the new zcatalog without impacting any code.

Jonathan